Sunday, September 24, 2017

Sunday, September 24, 2017 - The eagles finally show themselves!

After yesterday's excitement with the flat tire and Daisy falling in the river, we were up late getting clothes washed and dried and writing the blog post. (Yes, as usual we were missing one sock after we got back with laundry. We still haven't found it.)

Anyway, 5:30 came early this morning, and after re-supplying the cooler with ice, I got the boat ready to leave. Before actually untying the lines, I radioed Stinnis lock and ask about locking through. They said they'd have the gates open for me in 15 minutes. The day was starting off good!
Water Hyacinths almost blanketed the water in places.


We slowly idled through the water hyacinths that seemed to have taken over the river. I worried that they might clog our cooling water intake, but so far that hasn't been a problem. As we left the marina channel and turned toward the lock, the gates were open and the green light was on.

After being lowered about 30 feet we were on our way to Beville lock, 27 miles downstream. When we got to Beville at 11:00, they were ready for us too! 24 minutes after entering we were leaving on the lower pool! It really is amazing how efficient the lock workers are in managing the traffic up and down the river. 

We passed several tows pushing barges today - more than any other day on this trip, I think.

We also saw more eagles today, as well as hawks and ospreys. I am including a few of the best eagle pics I got today.








I wish that we had stopped to talk with this paddler. His kayak was loaded down with gear and he was paddling (actually pedaling) downstream. I bet there is an interesting story there!


We are anchored in the "Warsaw Cutoff" tonight, and this will likely be our last night of the trip. There are only 60 miles of water and one lock between us and Demopolis, so we should be there in our home port tomorrow afternoon.

Glenda says:
Today went very smoothly.  Even though a bit of yelling at each other to "get the camera" occurs every time we see eagles, it is always awe inspiring to watch them.  I drove a good bit today and let the captain catnap.  I dinghyed over to what looked like a construction site and let Daisy potty after we got to the anchorage.  We are sitting on top of the boat now.  I've been watching the martins dive and swoop.  I hope they were eating all the mosquitoes.  But now all is quiet.  The birds have disappeared into the brush.  The tree frogs are just ending a song.  Now I'm watching for the stars.


I'm sure these two were dissapointed we didn't blow the horn--but we dont have one ☹️



Daisy is happy to be back traveling again.


Our last night on this river trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment