Saturday, September 23, 2017

Saturday September 23 or Sometimes you just have to laugh 😂

I woke this morning to the sound of an outboard engine going by us. Obviously we would not be the first boaters out this morning. In fact, it was about 7:30 before we pulled up anchor and idled out the 1/4 mile or so to the main channel. It was another beautiful morning to be out on the water!

Glenda took this photo before I was up and going this morning.


It was only 8 miles to Aberdeen lock and we got there about 8:45. A towboat was in the lock about to head up, so we had to wait for just over an hour. An early morning wait at a lock is much more pleasant than waiting when the mid-day sun is beating down.

We had to wait on this tow and barges to lock up before we could lock down at Aberdeen.


From Aberdeen lock to Columbus Marina was only 23 miles, but we'd decided we needed a "housekeeping" and "rest" day, so we would stop there. Both our marina stops on this trip have been made enjoyable by the friendly and super-helpful workers there. We were guided into Columbus marina over the radio (through unbelievably thick vegetation) and when we arrived two gentlemen caught our dock lines and welcomed us, offering help with anything we needed.

After we hooked up the power and got the A/C running for Daisy (bless her heart), we took the "courtesy car" and headed into town for an early supper and a stop at Walmart. Glenda commented that this courtesy car (a Toyota mini-van) was much nicer that we'd seen at most marinas. I think she jinxed us. As we approached Harvey's resaurant, the low tire pressure light came on. When we got out, the right rear did look a little low. We had a fantastic meal at Harveys, and when we got back to the van, the tire still looked just a little low. No problem, I'll add a little when we get to Walmart. 

I drove up to the air/vacuume station at Murphy Oil just across from the W-M parking lot. The sign says 5 minutes of air for $1.60. Glenda searches her purse and finds five quarters. We are 2 quarters short. More searching of the purse - no more quarters. Then I notice that the air machine takes VISA! I was torn between elation that we could get some air, and a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach as I thought about what our world has become. You have to PAY for air, but we are happy because we can put it on our credit card! So .... I buy $1.60 worth of air and start pumping it into the now completely flat tire. Nothing happens. The tire will not pump up. 

Plan B is to put the spare on. In the back of the mini-van was a lug wrench and jack. The spare must be under the rear cargo floor. Nope, not there. Maybe it's mounted under one of the 5 removable seats. Nope. Under the rear bumper like a pick-up truck? Nope. Feeling like a real nerd, I had to call the marina and let them know what was going on. The manager was very apologetic, and offered to come and pick us up, but I told I could a small problem like a flat, and that I would take the flat off and roll it across the W-M parking lot to the Automotive department and get it fixed (this is plan C). 

As I'm about to hang up, I notice what looks like tire tread under the right sliding door of the mini-van. I had found the elusive spare tire! We are now back to Plan B. After 5 minutes if searching for the spare tire release mechanism, Glenda found the owners manual in the glove box and I was able to locate the bolt that is hidden under a removable flap of carpet under one of the 5 removable seats that lowers the cable that holds the spare underneath the car. After cranking the release bolt with lug wrench (per the instructions) the spare was lowered to the ground and unfastened. As this photo shows, a close inspection of the spare tire sent us back to Plan C. 
The spare.

I jacked the car up and took off the flat tire. Then we put the spare in the rear of the mini-van and rolled the flat across the parking lot until I found a vacant shopping cart. At the automotive department I took the spare out of the cart and leaned it against the wall near the bay marked "Tire Service" and went inside. At the counter I waited as a customer in front of me was taken care of, then I explained to the lady at the counter that I had a flat tire that I wanted repaired. She turned and stepped into an office behind her where two other workers were talking. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but the lady pointed at me and said something to them. I took this as a good sign that maybe we were making some progress. Then the lady walked toward the window of the service area. I followed her. She pointed to the the service area and said I needed to talk to the man in the blue shirt. I walked back out and found the man and told him my pitiful story. He sighed and said he had two cars ahead of me, then he would look at my flat tire.

Having secured that commitment, I walked back inside and informed the lady that the man in the blue shirt said he would look at it, and did she need my name, or any other information. She ask another employee, who said they needed to do that outside. Back outside, I stand around for a few minutes and can't find the man in the blue shirt. Then I see a man and a lady looking at a tire near where I had left mine. I walked over. Now there are three tires laying against the wall, and the lady is punching information into that handheld device they use in the automotive department. When she finishes with the other man, she takes my information, informing me that they "won't fix it if the hole ain't in the tread". Then she puts a sticker in the tire and gives me a barcode slip. There are now 3 cars plus the other man with two tires ahead of me.

As I walk back inside it thunders so loud it sounded like the building shook. I had to laugh to myself as I thought about rolling that tire back across the parking lot in a thunderstorm. Of all the things I was concerned about when planning for this boat trip, I never imagined that I might have to change a flat tire in a thunderstorm.

Well, the thundersorm went in another direction, and after a couple of hours the flat was fixed and my name was called over the intercom by the man in the blue shirt. He said it was leaking around the rim, and they put sealant on it. The charge was $10.70. I reached in my billfold and started to pull out my Visa card. Then I had a flashback of me sliding the Visa card into that little machine to puchase air for $1.60, so I paid him with cash. 



Glenda says:
I heard our old fisherman come by about 6:15 this morning to check his string lines.  We decided we better get up and get going since the plan was for a short day of travel.  I was looking forward to a nice meal at Harveys, a short run to Walmart, doing the laundry leisurely and doing some cleaning on the boat.  Our lock down through Aberdeen was smooth.  The scenery was beautiful.  I enjoyed seeing where the old tombigbee river weaved in and out the man-made cut waterway.  We passed a couple of tows and saw lots of white herons, grey herons and blue herons.  





We arrived at columbus marina a little after 1:00. The folks at the marina helped us get tied up.  Tom went to pay and returned with the key to the courtesy car.  I had a fantastic meal of shrimp and grits at Harveys.  From there things went down hill.  1.  Flat tire at Walmart super center.  2.  Spare tire is in shreds. 3.  Apparently Walmart has hogtied people and forced them to work at the Columbus Walmart.  4.  Two hours in Walmart h#**.   
Tom went into the marina office to return the key and I hurried to let Daisy romp outside a little before being confined in the boat for 2 more days.  She was so excited.  She was running and jumping like a young pup again. Large green field right close to the boat, nobody else around, so I let her off the leash to run and play.  But Daisy being a dog could not tell the difference between grass growing in dirt and water plants growing in water and in she goes!  She was shocked needless to say.  We did get the laundry done and rinsed out the dinghy but no scrubbing tonight.  I'm just not up to it.  

I guess this looked like solid ground to Daisy.

A wet but wiser dog, after her swim.

There's nothing like a beautiful sunset to relax you after a busy day. God gave us a special one today.


No comments:

Post a Comment