Monday, June 26, 2017

Saturday June 24, 2017. We return to Guntersville, AL


This morning I radioed the Nickajack lock operator and asked about their schedule for the morning before we untied from the pier. If we had to wait, I'd rather do it while we were tied to a dock than when floating around at the face of the lock. Fortunately, the lock master responded  that he had no one else locking through and he could have the chamber ready in a few minutes. We arrived at the gate about 10 minutes later, and entered the chamber. Dakota took duty with me on the forward deck this time. Her regular job for this trip had been to manage the dinghy at the rear of the boat, but I wanted her to see how to tie off to the bollard too.

A quick, uneventful ride 57' down and we were back on Guntersville Lake, 65 miles from our destination at Guntersville Marina. Within an hour of exiting the lock we spotted the first of four bald eagles of the day.

We made good time with the current and arrived at the marina about 3:45, where I motored into our slip with both antennas up. The antennas are (or were) about 3' taller than the roof of our slip. I didn't let it bother me too much though. We had a fantastic 5 day trip on the water with 2 wonderful grandkids that I adore. Thanks Dani and Dakota for sharing your time with us.




Riding in the dinghy was a fun diversion for the sometimes boring "big boat" ride.

 One of four bald eagles that we saw today!

 Dakota did not drive as much as Dani did, but she did a good job when we needed her to.



One of the few eagles on this trip that sat still long enough to get a good picture.



Glenda says:
Last day of this adventure.  After a stormy damp night at the TVA camp, we got an early start.  Both the girls were still in their bunks when we cranked up and headed to the lock.  Dakota got up in time to help papa up top.    It rained on and off most of the morning but by late morning the sun was out.  Dani finally joined us in the pilot house as we watched for various wildlife.  After much deliberation Tom decided to let the girls pull the dinghy along side the boat and climb in.  I let the line back out and the girls enjoyed bobbing along in the dinghy behind the boat for a bit.  We started preparing for arrival since we knew we had a 2 hour car ride home.  We pulled back into the slip at guntersville just before the.  I had been assigned the task of reminding Tom to put down the antennas but I failed to do so.  Both got broken off.  Bad memories get expensive!   But we had a successful trip and I hope made memories the girls will treasure for a lifetime.



In Nickajack lock, ready for the ride down.


About to exit Nickajack Lock on the lower side.


Dani says:
I woke up around 8. We talked  awhile in the pilot house while papa was in the shower. After we just talked. Dakota and I eventually went down to the bunk room and ate a few pieces of candy. Then GG came down to shower so we went to talk to papa. After GG talked to papa he let Dakota and I ride in the dingy while he drove.

Dakota says:
Well today was our last day on the boat trip sadly we had to go back home but we had lots and lots of fun today. I got up early enough to help papa get through the lock in the morning and then we mostly slept the day away but papa eventually let us ride in the dinghy behind the boat which was AWESOME!!(thx papa) we also had to organize our stuff to take back home. I really liked this trip and I hope to do a few more before I'm really a teenager and don't want to go anymore. Which won't happen Any time soon. Until the next.

No comments:

Post a Comment